Credibility and trust are key to effective leadership. Now that Q4 crunch time is upon us, don’t let the negativity of the rumor mill with your team get in the way of progress. The environment is ripe for gossip and rumors. Your employees should be on high alert to meet their goals. It’s your job as a leader to combat this head-on. Let’s look at how to keep the nay-sayers at bay this time of year.
We started this quarter by focusing on accountability. It's now time to eliminate false information like financial cutbacks or fear of layoffs. Here are some ways to manage gossip and rumors during the year-end crunch:
- Keep employees informed through regular updates this quarter. You’ll build employee confidence in you as a leader and prevent them from making up their own stories.
- Be direct on the state of the business. Leaving the team to speculate only stirs the pot of uncertainty.
- Teamwork and collaboration are crucial now. Taking stock of how your team communicates with one another is vital to achieving year-end goals.
- Make it abundantly clear to all that gossip and rumors have no place in your organization. Any questions should be addressed to you versus creating a culture of hearsay.
- Keep employees updated on progress towards departmental goals and their role in achieving them. A great way to do this is with KPIs (key performance indicators).
- Communicate the state of the business to employees. Complete transparency of appropriate information delivered in a timely manner can curb gossip and rumors before they start.
Set the Example
You’ve likely been setting the tone for accountability and expectations throughout the year- now’s the time to remind your team members.
- Stop engaging in negative cross-departmental talk.
- Strengthen the foundation of trust between yourself and your team by having frank conversations by giving and receiving feedback.
- Proactive communication during the year-end crunch will prepare your employees for this crucial quarter.
Are you ready to take steps to STOP office gossip and rumors? I've helped many leaders increase communication and transparency and can help you too. Reach out to me to ensure you end the year strong.